Friday 22 January 2010

Endings and beginnings.....

Last day at work today.  I knew it was going to be hard to say goodbye, but WOW. I'm at home now, surrounded by cards, flowers, chocolates, still feeling a bit emotional about it all.  But, as last days go, it was just about perfect.

My day began in a school, with a handover meeting.  I took the colleague who'll be taking over from me along and we had a tour of the school and met most of the staff.  Then I listened, feeling slightly guilty, while they took the opportunity to book her in for a whole pile of training dates, some lesson observations, and as a guest speaker at their upcoming careers day.  Just as we were about to leave, two kids appeared with a giant computer-shaped card, complete with a furry "mouse" (photos to follow, much easier than describing it!).
We got back to the office just in time for a surprise morning tea.  I was really touched by how much effort everyone had gone to; the office was decorated with balloons, banners, and giant photos from the last three years, we had three different types of cake, and there was even a specially chosen "Caroline playlist" on the stereo.  It's amazing how nervous you can get when people have chosen songs which remind them of you! Garry Glitter took some explaining........

We have a long standing tradition of home-made cards in our office, and so one of these was dutifully produced.  As I said at the time, I would have been disappointed with anything less!  They also gave me "teacher of the year" mug (which I was planning to souvenir anyway, to be honest!) left over from our stash of end-of-year presents a few years ago.

 My 'real' presents were lovely; flowers, chocolates, champagne, a bracelet, and a Tate membership - perfect.  Lots of very nice words said (by other people) and some very incoherent words said by me as I tried to explain how much our office and the people in it have meant to me for the last few years.  They really are like a second family; I will miss them all, and our office banter, terribly.

 The rest of the day revolved around food, basically.   Chinese for lunch, and drinks and dinner at Canary Wharf this evening, although becuase we were all driving, not many drinks.  But that's how most of our work dos go (apart from the time Emma - now my manager - and I ended up drinking wine out of coffee mugs, but that's a different story.....). So it would have felt strange doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment