Tuesday 16 February 2010

Ooh ooh ooh!!*

That's meant to be the sound of me being very excited.

One of the things which intrigues me about Twitter, is who follows who, and why.  Actually, to be honest, what I'm actually intrigued about is the people who follow me, and why.   Sometimes I can work out the connection; I tweeted about working in Royal Festival Hall a few weeks ago, and a few days later, the Southbank Centre began following me.   (I happened to be back at Royal Festival Hall when I got the notification, which was a little bit freaky. For a brief moment, I genuinely thought the building was watching me).  But other times, it's a complete mystery.

I have 26 followers at the moment, and of those, 7 are real people who I actually know,  8 are organisations which I'm following, or which I have mentioned in passing, and one is Stephen Fry (get me!).

I'm also being followed by five people I'm pretty sure I don't know,  and a few commercial organisations like Virgin Sport, which don't appear to be related to anything I've ever tweeted about.  Then there is also the curiously  'WingCheese' from Utah, who annoyingly, has protected their tweets, meaning I have to follow them back if I want to know why a Mormon cheese seller (only a conjecture) might be following me.  It's all very mysterious. 

But it's my most recent follower, who I noticed today, which I'm excited about.  It's someone who is putting together an online platform for writers and publishers. I can only assume that the reason she is following me is that it's useful to her to be in contact with people who might find this relevant.  In other words, someone out there actually thinks of me as a writer. I'm really excited about this.  (I'll say it again: "ooh, ooh, ooh".)  I know it sounds like a small thing, but it must mean I'm doing something right.



*Apologies to anyone who read that and was expecting a post (as promised) about karaoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment