Friday 30 April 2010

It's a Bank Holiday! Hoorah!

I'm off to France for a weekend of champagne tasting and have a camion-load of things to get done before I leave bright and early tomorrow morning.

If the Amazon gods are smiling on me, I'll be reading Jules Renard while I'm away. Otherwise, I'll be taking the second Stieg Larsson, which I'm looking forward to reading (having finally made it through the difficult first few chapters of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and going on to like it a lot, just like everyone said I would), but which doesn't quite match the surrounds quite as well.  At the time of writing, today's post hasn't arrived, so there is still hope. Amazon gods, I'm counting on you.

If, unlike me, you're in the UK for the weekend and are stuck for entertainment, do try and catch Five Daughters, which is on the iPlayer until Tuesday. In fact, even if your weekend is going to be quite the whirlwind of social activity, I'd strongly suggest trying to find three spare hours to squeeze this in.

The subject matter isn't exactly frothy: it's a drama dealing with the murders of five Ipswich women in 2006, who you may remember hitting the headlines back then for the fact that they were all sex workers.  Their stories are told with incredible sensitivity and humanity;  I saw the first two installments last night and am saving the last one for when I get back. Really, if you get the chance, watch it.  It is insanely good. 

Have a lovely-bubbly Bank Holiday.  See you on Tuesday, or thereabouts.

(UPDATE: I am no longer speaking to the Amazon gods. Post has just arrived but sadly Jules has not. It would seem more than a little churlish to moan about this for too long, and I wouldn't mention it at all, except for the fact that for the last half an hour or so,  ever since I spotted the postman down the road I have been running up and down four flights of stairs every five minutes to check.  At least I didn't run up the road to meet him, which was my first inclination.)

No comments:

Post a Comment