Friday 23 April 2010

Quick history update

I conquered the Romans before breakfast this morning, and have spent the last hour or so knee-deep in Saxon drugs and rock'n'roll. (The second part of that sentence is not my joke, by the way, it's a chapter title in one of the books I'm reading, but I thought it was a particularly good one). Hagist and Horsta, the seven kingdoms, Roman v Celtic Christians, the Synod of Whitby, and that nasty old King Offa are just some of the things I know much more about now than I used to.  Bring on the Vikings.

The very crude, potted-history-of-Britain timeline I have constructed in my head, and which I'm working from, goes roughly like this:

Ancient times; Romans; Dark ages and Anglo Saxons;  Norman Conquests and 1066; Middle Ages (incl Black Death); Tudors and Stuarts; Golden Age aka Elizabethan times aka Renaissance; the next bit which  I don't have name for but quite a lot happened; Victorian Era; Twentieth Century

I think that covers it, speaking in the broadest sense.  Happy to be told otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment