Wednesday 19 May 2010

I do love a good Venn Diagram

Is this a terrible confession?  I loved doing them at school, too.  I'm a bit sad like that.

But you can't tell me there's not something almost zen-like about the sense of order a Venn diagram carries with it.  There's just something so neat and tidy about them.  A place for everything, and everything in its place, as both Mary Poppins and my Mum would say.

Sometimes they can also be quite funny. This one, for instance, which comes via Twitter; it was made by @qwghlm who I don't follow, but re-tweeted by several people I do.


Simple, yet effective. And by that I mean the diagram, not the politicians.

When I saw it earlier today I remembered an email that did the rounds a while ago, with song titles explained in graphs.  You might remember it for gems like this:



Pie charts don't quite do it in the same way for me as Venn diagrams do (call me fussy) but I still quite like this. 

A quick Google search for "funny Venn Diagrams"  (my research methodology is nothing if not robust) has told me that I'm not the first to see the humour in these gorgeous creatures.  A while ago The Huffington Post, for instance, ran the brilliantly titled feature   Jesus, Karaoke and Serial Killers about the funniest Venn Diagrams to be found on the internet.  My favourite so far, I think, is this:


There are a load more of them here .

In not-quite-so-geeky news, I sent my first invoice out today for the work I did last week, and was quite excited about this.  (Actually, maybe that's not quite so not-quite-so-geeky news in hindsight.  Whatever.)  I have also been booking in other dates and my financial projections (get me!) are suggesting that there are a couple of months coming up where I'll actually be earning enough to cover my living expenses. Hooray!   Been a while since I could say that. 

I am freelancer, hear me roar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment