Tuesday 20 April 2010

New York Stories

Due to various circumstances (rotten cold, application deadline looming, and the Sopranos box-set I've just been loaned flirtatiously peering at me from my bookshelf )  I'm struggling to come up with words today, let alone assemble them in some kind of  order that might be considered sensible.  Which makes this as good a time as ever for some New York photos.


This is the Alamo cube sculpture, at Astor Place in East Village. I stumbled over it quite by accident, and I fear it may be one of those things which looks more impressive in real life than in a photo.  Maybe it will help to say that it weighs around 1000kg and each side is about 8ft long (This is assuming, of course, that you are the sort of person who is impressed with big heavy stuff.  I am open to the possibility that not everyone is.)  

I have just found out that if you push it hard enough, it spins around.  There are no words to explain how gutted I am to have discovered this now, rather than before I went.

I got off the subway at Astor Place on my way here: 


Unless you are as obsessed with a certain film as I am, the name of this deli probably won't mean much.  This is what it looks like on the inside:


Can you pick the film yet?  No?  This might help:


Yep, it's where *that* scene from When Harry Met Sally was filmed.  I don't have a photo of the actual table they used, because at the time it was being occupied by a very serious looking Goth couple who, despite not looking like your average chick-flick fans, were on a pilgrimage of their own and had settled in for the afternoon with trays of sandwiches and sodas.  I didn't like to disturb them.

A few more pictures for WHMS fans:



Washington Arch, where S drops H off when they first arrive.  "Well, have a nice life"


You need to use your imagination for this one, but, zoom in a bit, add a few autumn leves, and look:



Hmmm. On second thoughts, you know what?  You may just have to take my word on this one.  Anyway, it's Central Park, which also looks like this:


A little known fact about New York:  Customs staff check your camera at the airport, and if the photos on it do not include one like this, a night shot of the Empire State Building, and a picture containing a yellow cab, the cliche-police won't let you leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment