Tuesday 6 April 2010

They're singing our song

I'm off to the hairdresser in a bit. Now that you know that, you can probably guess that fairly recently I thought to myself "I really need to get a haircut".  What you won't know, though, is that then my brain instantly and automatically went "and get a real job".  Just like it always does when I think I ought to get a haircut.  (If you don't know why, then clearly you are missing this in your life.)

For some reason today it tickled me more than usual, probably becuase I do, as it happens, need to get both a haircut and a job. it's not often you find yourself in a situation which can be described exactly, and literally, by a song title.  Sometimes it doesn't take much to tickle me.  It also made me think.  Surely there must be loads more songs like this.

Imagine a short break here, while I walk half way down the hall towards where my iPod is docked, realise I could just look at iTunes on this computer without having to undock my iPod and interrupt the Stereophonics*, then turn around again and walk back to my laptop where I have a quick flick through my iTunes library for inspiration. Isn't time travel fun?

Guess what? There are.

My favourite, so far, is Sophie Ellis Bextor's Murder on the Dancefloor  which, you will be glad to know, for me *isn't* a Song Title Which Exactly And Literally Describes The Situation.  (I hope that's true for most people).  But if I happened to be called Lola and was a showgirl-with-feathers-in-my-hair-and-a-dress-cut-down-to-there, it absolutely would be.

Others I have spotted so far, leaving aside the obvious ones (I Don't Like Mondays too generic, You're So Vain too much of a cliche)  include  Everything's Not Lost by Coldplay: mainly because I sorted out the cupboard where my immersion heater is this morning so that the plumber could get to it, and found my favourite jumper and several missing shoes.  Result.

Also, A Whiter Shade of Pale is the colour of my walls, which were, when I first moved into my flat, more an off-white kind of colour (because I re-painted them proper white, not because I cleaned them freakishly well or anything). 

I've often thought that one of the best jobs in the world would be to be the person who gets to decide which music to play over which part of films and TV shows.  I'm sure, like most jobs, it's not always as fun as it seems, but still. I'd give it a go.  And I'm thinking this could be a novel approach.

Right, I'm not done with these yet, but I need to send a couple of emails before I go to the hairdresser.  So, as Flight of the Conchords would say, It's Business Time.  And I do mean that literally.


*Caravan Holiday, in case you were wondering, which doesn't describe what I'm doing in the slightest.  Although I quite wish it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment