Monday 24 May 2010

An idealist who was misunderstood

Some things:

1.  Best line (in my opinion) in the LOST finale, which if you haven't watched it but plan to won't spoil anything, came from Miles: 
"I don't believe in a lot of things. But I believe in duct tape."

2. The Inuktitut word Katujjiqatigiittiarnirlu means "simplicity" (from @qikipedia on Twitter)

3. Today's birthdays:  Queen Victoria,  the woman who invented scavenger-hunts*, Bob Dylan, Kristen Scott-Thomas, Tommy Chong of "Cheech and" fame, actor-rapper Big Tyme** and the Brooklyn Bridge.  Also on this date, Bartok's opera "Bluebeard's Castle" premiered in Budapest.  According to the article I am looking at, "It was controversial, not only because the music was hard on the ears, but also because the Bartok version of the Bluebeard story made Bluebeard, a serial killer, out to be an idealist who was misunderstood". 

Aren't we all misunderstood idealists at heart?


*Elsa Maxwell, who sounds like quite a character.  She was born in a box at the opera (is it just me, or can this be said about a disproportionately large number of people?  Winston Churchill is the other one I thought I could think of off the top of my head, but a) I've just double checked and he wasn't and b) I'm sure I used to know about more.  I am going to have to investigate this further.) There's an interesting article about her here.  My favourite parts:

Not unmindful of science (she once devoted most of a column to the fact that she has never had to blow her nose)
and
Author-Actress Maxwell commutes frequently between her Waldorf apartment and Hollywood, where she lives with Evalyn Walsh McLean and the Hope diamond
 
** I didn't even have a favourite rapper name before today, but now Big Tyme is definitely it.  His real name is Jerod.



No comments:

Post a Comment