Tuesday 22 June 2010

In which I have a little bit of a boast. But only a small one, and I promise not to do it again.

It's late.  I've already posted today, and I really should be in bed.  Especially because I have a busy day of writing scripts for Microsoft Office training videos to look forward to tomorrow. I'm quite rock'n'roll, me.

But seeing as I come here when I want to have a moan about something, I kind of think it's only right to come when something good happens as well.  And tonight it has.

I've just been reading the feedback on a short story I wrote last week as an assignment for my writing class.   I was pleased just to get something written, to be honest.  I think it's the first full, finished piece of narrative fiction (ie a whole story I've made up, not a rambling blog post) I've written since I was at school, and when I started, I didn't think I would be able to do it.

We had the choice of writing a fiction or a non-fiction piece, and I very nearly went down the non-fiction route because  it's much more in my comfort zone.  But then I decided to take a risk.  And then, just to make it a bit more difficult, I ended up writing a story from the point of view of an old woman. With Alzheimer's disease.**

I wrote it, and re-wrote it, and then had to cut it right down to fit the word limit, and I sort of liked what I ended up with, but wasn't quite sure.  I handed it in anyway, and this is what our tutor said:

Fluid, engaging style and deft story telling…
Excellent – you have left me with very little to say.
Thoughtful, intelligent writing & a well crafted story

I can't begin to describe how I felt when I read her comments, but I am dead chuffed.  She said some other things too, which were more specific, which also made them more helpful.  They were equally positive, and just as chuff-inducing.
.
I really don't mean to make a habit of shouting about these sorts of things, by the way; and that statement alone is a little presumptious as it assumes there will be more occasions like this, which certainly isn't a given. (Or even particularly likely.) But tonight, for one night only, I'm shouting.  Because this made me really, really happy.



**Seriously, I don't know why I do these things.  But, never let it be said I don't like a challenge.  I once went to a tarot card reader (please don't judge me) who said something along the lines of "your life will never be easy, because you strive for great things".  He had NO idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment