Friday 10 September 2010

Friday Night Writers' Club

The first rule of Friday Night Writers' Club is that it's perfectly fine to talk about Friday Night Writers' Club.



Friday Night Writer's Club (both shirt AND shoes are advised) is something a few classmates and I came up with after we finished a creative writing course couple of months ago.  The idea is pretty simple: we'll meet up once a month for drinks and dinner, and bring a piece of writing to share. Over the course of the evening we'll read each other's work and give feedback, offer support, make suggestions; basically do all of the things which we did lots of during the course, and have been missing since it finished.

Tonight is our first proper meeting, and I'm really looking forward to it. This month, we've all written a 1500 word short story containing the phrase "when I am Queen". It sounded simple enough at the time; but the story I've ended up writing is absolutely nothing like the one I thought I was going to. I'm dying to find out what the others have come with. I'm also dying to hear how they tackled the writing process itself.  Because writing is fun, but it's also hard and frustrating, and it makes you do crazy things.  

And I do mean crazy.  The other morning I was pacing around my flat shouting quite loudly at someone because  he knew a big juicy secret about someone else and was refusing to tell me what it was.  Which would be fine, except for the fact that both parties were completely fictional, made-up characters.  Made-up by me, incidentally, and you'd think that would mean I'm entitled to the information, wouldn't you? Or indeed, would have access to it?  Apparently that's not how these things work. 

That will sound completely bonkers to a lot of people, I'm sure. To a few people, though, and I count the friends I'll be seeing tonight among that number, it will make complete and utter sense. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment