Tuesday 5 October 2010

A Snail is Vanquished

Stand down, Team Barnacle. Your work here is done.  Meet Australia's Top New Species*:


You will have noticed, it's not my Mum's barnacle.  It is a fish with hands, and fair play to it.  After all, I expect it gets quite a hard time from the other fish in the playground for being a bit different. And just imagine what it must be like to be a boy handfish; as if coping with those weird hand-like fins wasn't bad enough, there's also the small matter of being bright pink to deal with.

But what of the epic battle between my Mum's barnacle and that ridiculous tree-dwelling snail named after Steve Irwin? Well, on that front I have good news.  The Opera House barnacle, discovered by my Mum, came third with 14% of the vote.  Crikey steveirwini, meanwhile, came in fourth, with only 13.5%.  Full results, if you are interested, can be found here.

So it's official: My Mum is better than Steve Irwin.  And, let's face it, that's the contest which really mattered.  The result couldn't have been closer, which means every single voted counted.  If yours was one of them, thank you from the very bottom of my heart. My mum says thanks too.



*Some context for newer readers: my Mum discovered a barnacle a while ago which was nominated for this title.  Other contenders included a tree-dwelling snail named after Steve Irwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment