Wednesday 6 October 2010

Uncultured, or just fussy?

There is a new Gauguin exhibition at the Tate Modern. The people at Tate Modern are pretty excited about it, if their website is anything to go by.  So, it would seem are lots of other arty and important people, some of whom have described the exhibition as 'brilliant' (in the Guardian); ‘the show of the season – in fact of the whole year’ (in the Times)  and '* * * * *'  .  That last one was in the Telegraph, and because it's the Telegraph, but also because I can't think of any 5-letter swear words, I'm pretty sure they mean they are giving it a five star review and not being all rude and sweary.

Something I foud out today : I am not a Gauguin fan.  It took me about 20 minutes to get around the entire exhibition, and for at least 18 of those minutes, the main thought in my head was "meh."  Call me uncultured, and please note that I'm not saying for a blind minute I could do any better, and to be fair there *was* a still-life in one room which made my heart skip a beat (which is where the other two minutes went), but mainly: I don't quite get what the fuss is all about.  Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment