Wednesday 7 November 2012

And I washed it all down with lashings of ginger beer*

I went to a tiny village in Kent the other day, for work.  I really wish I had taken my camera so I could show you some photos, but for now you'll just have to believe me when I say there is a village in Kent where the streets are called 'Bog Hole Lane',  "Heart in Hand Road" and "Old Tree Lane".

Going there felt just like stepping into an Enid Blyton story.


*Except, of course, I didn't really.  I washed it all down with the cold remains of a cup of Costa coffee bought from the M2 motorway services.   Besides, I'm sure I heard somewhere recently (maybe on QI, because it seems like one of their klaxon-inducing answers, but I don't really have time to check) that 'lashings of ginger beer' were never actually mentioned in any of the Famous Five stories.  Lashings of something else, certainly, but only once - and it definitely wasn't ginger beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment