Friday 9 November 2012

Eggs. It was eggs.

Right.  I've  had time to check my Famous Five references (see previous post for context) and it was on QI (this episode here, about 28 minutes in), and it was eggs they once had lashings of, as part of the world's most horrible sounding salad.  So now you know.

This is really just an excuse to link to a lovely article I read in the Guardian earlier this year, which made me feel quite nostalgic (and hungry) when I read it and where journalist Josh Sutton presents an in-depth analysis of the Famous Five's eating habits.  They were really quite healthy, it turns out, and he notes that their meals were quite social occasions as well as being a fairly accurate reflection of the austerity measures of the time.

There's a data file, too.  Yes, that's right; as part of his research Sutton  systematically searched for and categorised every single mention of food in every single one of the Famous Five books, which is quite a job when you stop and think about it.

 I must say, I quite like the sound of Josh Sutton.





No comments:

Post a Comment