Sunday 31 January 2010

If it's Tuesday this must be the V&A

OK, I didn't actually go to the V&A on Tuesday.  I spent most of Tuesday in my new favourite building.  But the point is, I could have.

One of the nice things about this career-break / period of unemployment / venture into self-employment / new career as a lady who lunches (delete as appropriate) is having the chance to soak up some culture.

Last week I got to the National Gallery for the first time.  Quite how I have missed this for the last eight years is beyond me, especially given the amount of time I spend in or near Trafalgar Square (I'm a bit like a homing pigeon when it comes to that part of town, which is ironic given that Trafalgar Square is the absolute last place on earth a homing pigeon would be allowed to live these days.  But I digress.)

Anyway, my point is, the National Gallery is fabulous - full of lots of famous paintings which I had no idea were in London, all in an incredibly opulent building. Of all the treasures I stumbled across though, the most unexpected was  The Hoerengracht, which is on until February 21st.  Basically, one of the rooms has been tansformed to recreate Amsterdam's red light district*. Not quite what you expect in the middle of a stroll through Rembrants, Picassos and Rubens, but there it was.

The exhibition is on until February 21st, is free, and definitely worth a look, whatever your thoughts about the subject matter.  if for no other reason than to admire the attention to detail.  Plus, when I was there, for some reason they were playing Cheryl Cole's latest single in the background.  Which made me laugh.



*I've been to the actual red-light district, as it happens, which is a very long story involving one of my oldest and dearest friends and some very embarassed Japanese business men....and sadly one which we both swore never to speak of again.

No comments:

Post a Comment